Thursday, November 4, 2010

Appeal to Emotion

   An appeal to emotion is a premise that states that you should believe something because it corresponds with how that certain something can make you feel a certain way. According to Epstein, "emotions do and should play a certain role in our reasoning" (191). There are certain types of appeals to emotion, such as appeal to pity and appeal to fear. An appeal to pity is categorized as a fallacy in which somebody tries to win support for an argument by abusing his or her opponent's feelings of guilt. An appeal to fear is when a person wants to create support for his or her ideas by using propaganda to try and increase fear or prejudice toward a competitor.
  The type of appeal to emotion which caught my attention is the appeal to fear because I read that it is very common in politics and marketing. This goes perfectly with election time because there are many different fallacies brought up, but I am unsure of which ones they use when seen on t.v. Appeal to fear corresponds with the ad on t.v. where Jerry Brown was attacking Meg Whitman by showing video clips of her stating the same things that Arnold Schwarzenegger said during his term as governor. Therefore, Jerry Brown was using an appeal to fear by showing that his competitor will not be a good fit for California.

1 comment:

  1. After reading chapter 10, I realized that there were different types of appeal of emotion. Which I found several of them to be quite interesting such as appeal to fear and appeal to pity. I also notices that most of these appeal are often common in our daily lives. I also saw several advertisement commercial about Jerry Brown against Meg Whitman. The one with Meg Whitman saying the same things that Arnold Schwarzenegger really surprise me because I found it quite amusing. I also agree with you that appeal to fear is often used in politics and marketing because I see them all the time. Anyways, this was a great post.

    ReplyDelete